MY SECOND CHANCE
If you read my tale in the previous sections, my journey to climb a 'menara gading' was truncated in UTM (1979). So, what choices did I have? Though, my heart was strong for doing another try (I mean to study) but, I felt so embarrassed with my parents. I had dissapointed them, wasted their money and killed their hope on me. I was the first in my family having an opportunity to step into the university. So, I didn't want to cling around any more. So, quietly I applied for Officer Cadet School. The shortest way to get a money (salary). Otherwise, with my SPM, how much I can earn? At that time the salary for SPM holder in the government was RM370/month.
When I was working in Kuantan (1983-86), I applied for UITM off-campus course. It was successful, I got an offer to study 'Diploma in Accountancy' in ITM Kuantan but I did not register due to financial constraint. God with me. I was selected by the RMAF to take up Diploma Course in ITM Shah Alam in June 1986 intake. There, my life in ITM started.
I moved to Shah Alam and rented a house in Seksyen 17 Shah Alam (Kelompok KENANGA).
Kolej Asrama Jati di Sek 2 (sebahagian besar pelajar Sem 1 ditempatkan di sini)
Asrama perindu dulu
Asrama Seroja (siswi)
Kolej Delima (dikatakan sebagai asrama elit kerana menempatkan pelajar-pelajar yang mendapat CGPA yang tinggi sahaja)
Throughout the OW, I was staying in Perindu Hostel. I would read the programme and some of the programme, especially lectures were not really beneficial to me, at night some more. So, I would find ways to escape from joining them. So, what I did? was sleeping in my car (at the parking slot near to the hostel). This because, I found that they never done a headcount or roll-call before going to any programme. Hahaha. I would join them back when the group coming back to the hostel for night room inspection by the 'gatai' seniors.
I like the Directer then, Prof Datuk Nik Abd Rashid (deceased). His speeches were always touching the heart of the Malays. One of the 'patriotic songs' taught to us during the OW and really touched my heart was 'Anak Kecil Main Api'
Anak kecil main api
Nenek moyang kaya raya
Tergadai seluruh harta benda
Akibat sengketa sesamalah kita
Indahnya bumi kita ini
Warisan berkurun lamanya
Hasil mengalir ke tangan yang lain
Masa depan sungguh kelam
Kan lenyap peristiwa semalam
Tertutuplah hati terkunci mati
Kini kita hanya tinggal kuasa
Bersatulah hati bersama berbakti
Kita sudah tiada masa
Majulah dengan maha perkasa
Janganlah terlalai teruskan usaha
School of Business and Management
- Fundamentals of Business (MGT100) - 3.33 - En Yeop Hussein bin Bidin (now Dr)
- Financial Accounting I (ACC100) - 3.67 - En Mohd Johar Omar (almarhum) & Pn Noraiza Che Awang (sweet lady), both were nice lecturers, especially Pn Noraiza- very caring. Normally I do not like the mathematical/accounting subject but she made me like this subject.
- Business Mathematics (MAT140) - 4.00 En Hanafi Tumin. Bila sebut subjek Math, aku jadi phobia, I failed Maths paper dan been kicked out form Architecture Course, UTM in 1979 still a trauma trauma. Tapi berkat bimbingan En Hanafi dan aku belajar dari kelemahan lalu, aku score 4 flat. I answered all question except Dy/Dx.
- Pendidikan Islam I (UIS101) - 2.00 Abdullah Khalid /Ustaz Hj Salleh Daud. Subjek ini paling tidak digemari oleh para siswi moden. Semua siswi diwajibkan memakai tudung untuk masuk ke kelas ini. Maka kita lihat, dalam keadaan biasa (kelas-kelas lain) mereka bebas dengan pakaian (bersopan laaa) tak pakai tudung, tapi bila masuk kelas UIS, masing-masing bertukar wajah- semua ayu-ayu dan baik-baik belaka. Keluar sahaja dari dewan kuliah atau tutorial UIS, zrapppppp..tudung pun terbarai. Walaupun ustaz/ustazah berbuih menyindir- namun mereka gagal merubah. Tapi, alhamdulillah, bila dah grad, dah kerja, dah kawin, ramai yang berubah.
- Foundation English A1(ENL 081) - Miss Barbara Bonney. Old (veteran) teacher, typical English teacher, reminded me when I was in my Form 2 or 3 class. Boring class, pernah aku datang lewat class dia, tapi sudah kena sound.."why you come late? what kind of military are you?" (talk about punctuality).... pedas tu bebbbbb....
2nd Semester (Jan - May 1987)
- Fundamentals of Management (MGT120) - 3.33 - Puan Loo Giok Har & En Mohd Naim Ahmad (now Dr)- Miss Loo was a typical lecturer- macam cikgu sekolah menengah- semua nota ditulis atas black board- masa tu ITM masih guna kapur putih lagi. Paling tension masuk kelas En Naim- fearful. Muka serius and sickening macam senior di RMC. Masuk kelas dia memang rimas sentiasa, takut dan memang akan kena soal punya?
- Economics I (ECO100) - 1.67 -Pn Norizan Mohamed- betul-betul macam cikgu Ekonomi masa Form 6 dulu. Aku memang tak minat dengan subjek Ekonomi. She could not change my 'dislike' on the subject of Economy. End up I got only D, the worst result I ever get in my 3 year course in ITM and until the end of the course became the main factor of pulling down my CGPA. Lucky it was not a course subject, otherwise I got to refer the paper to obtain the Diploma.
- Financial Accounting II (ACC150) - 2.33 -En Mohd Radzuan & Pn Chong Moi Moi
- Business Statistics (QMT150) - 3.00 - Ms Vani. Macam aku cakap tadi, sebut sahaja mathematical subject, trauma datang lagi. Kali ini walaupun Ms Vani cukup sexy (lecturer from School of Mathematics), ITM lecturer...selalu masuk kelas pakai skirt pun okay je. Tapi, masih gagal untuk merangsang aku untuk dapat A. Rangsang tang lain ada la.
- Arabic Language I (ARB101) - 4.00 Ust Hassan bin Mohd Ali. he was born and brought up in Makkah. The character was also like Arab, strong, rough and robust. He was very amicable and made me like this subject very much.
- Fundation English IIA (ENL131) - 4.00 - Ms Ng Seow Siong
- Pendidikan Islam II - 3.33 - Ust Ayub Othman & Ustazah Wan Asma'. Dalam subjek UIS ini, setiap pelajar kena hafal satu surah (ayat-ayat lazim) dan untuk final exam, setiap student kena baca satu persatu (secara satu sama satu) dengan tutor. Masa inilah aku sedar dari tidurku, kerana sudah lama meninggalkan bacaan Al Qur'an. Bacaan tajwid ku dah banyak kelemahan. Bermula dari sini aku mengorak langkah mengulangkaji semula ilmu tajwid dan belajar dengan ustaz di surau. Atas kesedaran ini juga kemudian aku aktif di surau Al Amin, Sek 17 Shah Alam dan akhirnya aku dilantik menjadi salah seorang dari Imamnya.
3rd Semester (June - Nov 1987)
- Fundamental of Marketing (MKT130) - 3.67 - Tengku Chik Melewar bin Tunku Nasir & Pn Ammeriah Hussein. Tengku Chik adalah NS royal family. Very soft gentleman and also very nice. Same goes to Pn Ammeriah, she was very motherly woman. Both lecturer and tutors made the subject can be handled easily.
- Fundamental of Finance (FIN150) - 3.33 - En Abd Halim bin Mohd Ibrahim (almarhum). He is a mamak, so the mamak character was there. The voice was loud and clear. Very nice and friendly.
- Economic II (EC0250) - 3.00 - Pn Rosylin Mohd Yusof. She drove Citroen- a luxury car at that time. Her softness, kindness and amicability was slightly able to improve my interest in economic paper.
- Financial Accounting III (ACC205) - 3.67 - En Abd Latif Ismail & Mr Felix Wong. I couldnt recall how En Latif was, but Mr Felix yes. Mr Felix was the man with philosophy. He knew a lot about Qur'anic versions. He is able to write Jawi and translate Arabic. The way he taught us was very clear, and he always use analogy to make us easier to understand the accounting 'left and right' concept.
- Intermediate English A (ENL181) - 2.67 - Pn Koh Su Ling.
- Pemikiran Islam Semasa (UIS201) - 3.67 - Ustazah Rokiah Mohamad & Ust Zulkarnain Yussof.
- Arabic Language II (ARB102) - 4.00 - Ust Hassan bin Mohd Ali.
- Fundamentals of Transport (TPT100) - 3.67 - Cik Sabariah bt Mohamamad (now Dr) & En Mohd Yusof bin Sulaiman (now Dr). Sabariah very serious person - cannoy play-play or gurau-gurau one. But Yusof was so simple and very friendly guy.
- Fundamentals of Insurance (INS100) - 3.33 -Mr Ong Kim Huah. This old lecturer acted like a taukeh kedai nombor ekor. Simple and cool person- take the subject very professional manner. Always used his experience to explain the students. I was the class leader in that semester, and he address me as Ketua Kampong.
- Economic III (ECO300) - 3.33 -Pn Jan Ng Phaik Lian.... sexy lecturer.... came in to the class with skirt, perghhhh tantalizing.... anak murid yang baik-baik macam aku ni, cuma mampu menelan air lioqqq....This time, my result in Economic subject were improving kerana ada motivational factor.
- Reading & Report Writing (ENL236) - 3.33 - Puan Foong Beng Sim.
- Tamaddun Islam (UIS251) - 4.00 - Ust Abdullah Mohamad & Ust Azam Hamzah. First time I got 4 flat in UIS. This semester, my interest to the Islamic subject was at the climax. I really worked for it, memorizing the Quranic version and Hadith, in fact in answer the final exam with tulisan jawi.
- Arabic Language III (ARB103) - 4.00 - Ust Tajuddin bin Mohd Noor. He replaced Ustaz Hassan Ali who transferred to other ITM branch. Less aggresive than Hassan. How ever my interest to Arabic was at the peak, so no problem to score 4 flat.
- Elements of Law (LAW102) - 2.33 - Pn Rohazarwati Zualcobley & En Haidar Dzyaudin
- Data Processing (CSC105) - 2.00 - Puan Roslina Md Nawi & En Azis Othman- at that time, computer was something 'alien' to me, so difficult to catch the knowledge PLUS both lecturers (lecture and tutorial) were so monotonous. Like a PC. I think the computerman is alck of 'human relations skills', so they were straight foward- did not care either your student could catch you up or not. End up, most of the assignment, even so simple (later when I bought the PC) we just copying each other.
- Investment (FIN220) - 3.00 - Tuan Hj Amir bin Zainol Abidin.
- Malaysian Bus Environment (MGT205) - 3.33 -Pn Zaafaran bt Hassan (now Prof Dr)
- Consumer Behavior (MKT311) - 2.67 -Pn Wan Juria bt Hood
- Marketing Research (MKT324) - 3.67 - Dr Khalifah bin Othman
- Sistem Ekonomi Islam (UIS302) - 3.00 - Ust Ezani bin Yaakob
- Functional English (ENL238) - 2.33 - Pn Bhajan Kaur
- Arabic Language IV (ARB104) - 4.00 - Ust Mohd Zabawi bin Abdullah
- Production (MGT212) - 3.33 -Pn Fauziah Noordin (now Dr). Met her again in my Advanced Diploma Course as my Course Tutor.
- Organizational Behavior (MGT213) - 2.00 - Pn Zaafaran Hassan (now Prof Dr). This was the most hyper-tension class for the whole diploma course. 20/24 hours a day in serious mode. Kalau dia senyum pun sinis je..... sebab dia buat joke, kita orang pun takut nak senyum. Sickening betul. Masa kita orang serius pecah kepala nak jawab test atau quiz, dia pulak boleh senyum sorang-sorang. However, after the course, I found that she is a nice person.
- Personnel Management (MGT214) - 3.67 -Pn Loo Gaik Har- she could not survive without chalk and blackboard. She was explaining while writing notes on the board.
- Industrial & Commercial Law (LAW262) - 3.67 -Pn Baduyah bt Obeng*- Nobody likes Law class (including me), however because of the newly wed lecturer (Puan Bad) is pretty and charming lady. Her smile made us fall in love (to the subject), so the subject become interesting, and the students were very keen to pose questions. This was the only class that we were inpatient to wait for the next class.
- Principles of Advertising (MKT323) - 3.67 -Pn Ubaidah bt Mohamed- I learned 'pot luck' from her. She liked to organize pot luck at taman Tasik Shah Alam, where we had our informal discussion about 'advertisement'. Pious but very friendly and amicable.
- Business Einvironment (BUS364) - 3.33 - Puan Zairon bt Othman & Gp Advsr: Pn Ameriah Hussein. Two lecturers with opposite character. Puan Zairon seemed like a discipline teacher in fact like a Principal of Girls School. Serious, garang - even everyone's note books she wanted to check and give mark to carry forward. I was the one (of many many more) who were very poor in jotting and keeping the notes in the class. On the other hand, Puan Ammeriah was very motherly and amicable. Kelas Pn Zairon, punyalah disiplin, sampai sebelum exam dia check semua buku catitan subjek dia .
- Sistem Ekonomi Islam (UIS352) - 3.33 (Ghafarullahulahuddin Hj Din). Badan ustaz ni kecik je.. janggut panjang. Rupanya dia aktif kumpulan tabligh. Simple person. Seronok belajar ekonomi islam dengan dia, he made the difficulties easy to be understood........ beberapa tahun kemudian... semasa aku kembali ke ITM untuk kursus ADBS(HRM) pada tahun 1994, salah seorang classmate aku bernama Ainal Khairi binti Abdul Ghani adalah isteri kepada Ustaz ini.
*sentiasa senyum walaupun student terkial-kial tak faham kes*
Masa aku develop blog ni, i did my searching untuk cari gambar2 my lecturers, jumpa pulak fb beliau. Walaupun beliau memang tak boleh ingat siapa aku, ye la, mana nak ingat every semester bertukar students, beratus-ratus pulak tu, dah lah tu cuma mengajar satu sem sahaja. Masa tu students dengan lecturers pun bukan rapat sangat, kenal gitu-gitu je.
ALBUM DBD 1986/1989
- Abd Halim Shariff
- Ahmad Faizal Mohd Anuar
- Mohd Sahlan Mohd Alkap
- Mohd Azlan Ahmad Azizah
- Mohd Azlan Dahari
- Ahmad Fadili Ismail
- Azli Shaari
- Azman Mohd Taharim
- Ahmad Fauzi Ismail (meninggal dunia Feb 2015)
- Aljeffri Abd Rashid
- Azman Shah Sabar
- Azman Muzaffar
- Abd Jabar Hj Sabli
- Asri Mohammed
- Ahmad Ariff Mohamed
- Anizam Yahya
- Aduni Amri
- Aziz Dollah
- Aziph Mustapha
- Azmahwati Sidek
- Aznan Zainalabidin
- Farah faddia
- Haspa Abu Hassan (ke DIIA)
- Johan Rodzi
- Jasmin (telah meninggal dunia)
- Kamarudin Khalil
- Muhammad Ibrahim
- Mahanom Mohamed
- Mohd Hilmi
- Mohd Damanhuri
- Markhaini (ke DIIA)
- Mohd Rafi Marsuk (ke ITM Dungun)
- Mohd Fairuz
- Mohd Zaini
- Nik Hulaimi (ke DIIA)
- Nik Nizam
- Nor Azura Khalili
- Norhanan Abd Rahman
- Noor Akma
- Nora Nordin
- Nordiana Daud (meninggal dunia tahun 90an)
- Mohamed Sulaiman Marjunit
- Mohd Ramli Ibrahim
- Mazlan Yahya (masuk DIIA)
- Mohammad Khir
- Mohd Din MohamadHisham
- Noor Hisham
- Rashidah Baharudin
Kalau tak silap, rakan sekelas kami semasa semester 1 (Jun-Dis 1986) yang tidak dapat CGPA yang memuaskan telah dihantar ke ITM Cawangan Dungun untuk memperbaiki keputusan mereka.
New emblem introduced in 1999 upon upgrading to University Status and change of name from ITM to UiTM
MY FAMILY LIFE AS A STUDENT
When I received an offer to further my study to ITM, I knew nothing about Shah Alam area. I was lucky, one of my Warrant Officer in Kuantan (PW (Rtd) Lokman-deceased) had bought a double-story terrace house in Sect 17, Shah Alam. So,he offered his house for me to rent. Simple negotiation, rental for RM280 per month -agreed. The house address at No 27, Jalan 17/3 (Kenanga), Seksyen 17, Shah Alam. At that time, that area was still new, almost half of the houses were not occupied. Almost every nite there was a theft case. So, the inhabitants agreed to form up so-called 'Rukun Tetangga'. A volunteer service. So, every night we had a 'security guard shift' from 1200 am to 6am. 2 hr duty and 4 persons per shift. Unfortunately, not all of them volunteer to cooperate. The efforts was slowly not working.
I was very active in that area. I was elected as the Secretary of 'Surau Al Amin', and later became the second Imam for that surau. I was also experienced to be the 'Pembantu Amil' during the fasting months for 2-3 years there. The community in that area was very active and convenience.
Every month the 'Surau' Committee will go to every house to collect 'derma surau' from the 'kariah'. The wooden surau (built up by 'gotong-royong' was upgraded and certified to perform Jumaat Prayers'. I visited twice so far.
The most tearing moment was the time i have to move out from Shah Alam to the Married Quarters in MINDEF. The whole permanent 'kariah' of the 'Surau Al Amin' were gathered to load my household to the 'truck 3 ton' and send me off. I could not hold my tears.
I would not forget them. Names such as Imam Mohd Noor bin Ismail (almarhum 2013), Imam Mohammad Mokhtar (passed away), Bilal Mohamad Nasir, Bilal Shahrom, Hj Abu Bakar (Army SNCO pensioner), Haris Ahmad (former Pengerusi Surau), Pak Berahim, Pakcik Badar (almarhum), Azman Badar (Siak), Abg Sahak (Siak), Abg Musa (tukang), Abg Yunus (Nestle), Abg Sabil Mohd Noh (Army SNCO pensioner), Azhar (Siak- moved to Melaka), Pakcik Bakar Hussein (businessman), Mahdan Mohd (bank officer), Arshad Damanhuri, Rahman, Zainal (ITM), Murugiah/Kala (my neighbour), Abg Ali (pemandu UITM), Arshad Damanhuri, Abd Rahman (kilang chat), Abg Kahar, Abg Shahrom (PPUM), Abg Mail (business) and etc.
Even today (2011) I still maintain my contact with them. During my (2x) daughters' wedding, they came down.
SELEPAS 23 TAHUN?
Aku pun tak tau rupanya geng DBS aku pun ada group facebook. Sejak aku meninggalkan UITM pada tahun 1989, hanya sekali sahaja kami adakan reunion secara agak besar-besaran. Rasanya di Pan pacific Hotel, tahun berapa aku kurang ingat, tapi masa tu aku masih pangkat Mejar atau Kapt la kot.
Pada 29 Sep 2012 mereka mengadakan reunion di INTEKMA Resort, tapi aku tak diberitahu. Tau-tau dah keluar dalam fb. Lagi pun aku masuk group fb tu selepas tarikh mereka membuat reunion.
2 SEP 10
MOHD DIN BIN MOHAMAD
(he was accepted consensusly as a DBSITM 86/89 Club Leader)